Auditions for The Sugar Bean Sisters by Nathan Sanders will be held Monday, Jan 11 and Tuesday, Jan 12, 2021 at 7:30pm at the Legion Theatre. The Sugar Bean Sisters will run March 19-27, 2021 and will be directed by Leslie McCrary Owens.
In this Southern Gothic comedy of romance, murder and alien abduction, the Nettle sisters are determined to escape spinsterhood—Willie Mae by going to Salt Lake and finding a good Mormon husband and Faye by hopping on the spaceship when the “space people” return for another visit. We meet Faye and Willie Mae as they return home to their ramshackle swamp dwelling in Sugar Bean, Florida, after a disastrous daytrip to Disney World, where Willie lost her prized Eva Gabor wig on Space Mountain. Having witnessed the landing of an alien space craft some 25 years ago in her daddy’s sugarcane field, Faye prepares for the return of her celestial visitors on this night, the very anniversary of that fateful day. A disturbance in the sugarcane field lures the sisters outside to investigate, and Faye recalls how their infamous daddy claimed to have witnessed dead folk walking through Sugar Bean on a similar night many years before. A strange bird-like woman suddenly appears out of the darkness of Buster Swamp, setting in motion a chain of extraordinary events. Lies begin to unravel and the truth is revealed as the Sugar Bean Sisters hatch a diabolical plot to ensure the space people’s return.
Cold reading from the script; no preparation necessary!
- Faye Clementine Nettles (F, 40s+), the spinster daughter of the infamous Papa Fate Nettles, Sugar Bean’s long-dead mass murderer. Having witnessed the landing of an alien spacecraft in her daddy’s sugarcane field some 20 years prior, Faye awaits the return of her celestial visitors on this night, the very anniversary of that fateful day. With the surety of a Southern Cassandra, Faye hatches a diabolical plot to ensure the “space people’s” return and her escape from Sugar Bean forever. Earthy, inappropriate and unconventional, Faye is the “enfant terrible” of Sugar Bean.
- Willie Mae Nettles (F, 40s+), Faye’s exacting older sister. A deeply devout, bald-headed Mormon woman who suffers “spells” and fears the creature that lurks beneath the bed. Willie longs to leave for Salt Lake City, Utah, hoping to find a “good Mormon husband.” Severe, humorless and dictatorial, Willie is the quintessential Southern spinster.
- Miss Videllia Sparks (F, 40s-50s), a strange, meretricious woman from New Orleans who arrives at the Nettles home in the middle of Buster Swamp on the night of the expected “landing.” Half bird-woman, half sideshow carnival performer, Miss Sparks has a peculiar habit of making up her own words. Freakish, eccentric and bizarre, Videllia Sparks is the mysterious stranger who comes to town.
- The Bishop Crumley (M, 30s-40s), a Mormon Bishop from Salt Lake City, Utah, now living in Sugar Bean, Florida, Bishop Crumley is a gentle, strikingly handsome man and the object of Willie Mae’s unrequited love and affection.
- The Reptile Woman (F, 40s+), the snake and “gator” lady of Sugar Bean, Florida, the Reptile Woman is an eccentric swamp mystic summoned to the Nettles home on the night of the “landing.”
Friday, Mar 19, 2021 | 8:00 PM
Saturday, Mar 20, 2021 | 8:00 PM
Sunday, Mar 21, 2021 | 3:00 PM
Friday, Mar 26, 2021 | 8:00 PM
Saturday, Mar 27, 2021 | 8:00 PM
NEED MORE INFO? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!