Auditions for The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee will be held on April 12 and April 13, 2021 at 7:30pm at the Legion Theatre. The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee will run June 11-26, 2021 and will be directed by Alex LaVelle and Bill Brown.
An eclectic group of six mid-pubescents vie for the spelling championship of a lifetime. While candidly disclosing hilarious and touching stories from their home lives, the tweens spell their way through a series of (potentially made-up) words, hoping never to hear the soul-crushing, pout-inducing, life un-affirming “ding” of the bell that signals a spelling mistake. Six spellers enter; one speller leaves! At least the losers get a juice box.
Auditions will consist of two parts: cold reading from the script and musical selections. Auditioners will need to prepare a verse and chorus of a song in a similar style to the show. Please bring your accompaniment track on a CD or on a device that accepts a standard AUX cord (e.g. smartphone). No a capella.
Note: The “spellers” are typically played by actors in the 20s-40s age range, and the “adults” are typically played by actors in the 25-50s age range. There is a lot of flexibility with these roles, though the one constant is that these are roles for adults.
- William Barfee (M, Tenor) – Last year’s finalist, eliminated due to an allergic reaction to peanuts; his “Magic Foot” method has boosted him to glory, even though he only has one working nostril and a touchy, bullying personality
- Olive Ostrovsky (F, Mezzo-Soprano) – A young newcomer to competitive spelling, Olive is enormously shy. Her father is working (as usual) and her mother is away at an ashram in India, so she has made friends with her dictionary.
- Logainne “Schwartzy” Schwartzandgrubenierre (F, Mezzo-Soprano) – The youngest, most politically aware speller. She is driven by internal AND external pressure, and desires to make her fathers proud. She has a distinct lisp.
- Marcy Park (F, Mezzo-Soprano) – A recent transfer from Virginia, Marcy placed 9th in last year’s nationals. She speaks 6 languages, is a member of all-American hockey, a championship rugby player, plays Chopin and Mozart on multiple instruments, sleeps only three hours a night, hides in the bathroom cabinet, and is getting very tired of always winning. She is not allowed to cry.
- Leaf Coneybear (M, Tenor) – Leaf is a homeschooler from a a large family of former hippies. He has severe ADD and spells words correctly while in a trance. He has entered the competition on a whim and finds everything about the Bee amusing.
- Charlito “Chip” Tolentino (M, Tenor) – An athletic, social Boy Scout and champion of last year’s Bee returning to defend his title, but who finds puberty hitting at an inopportune moment.
- Rona Lisa Peretti (F, Mezzo-Soprano) – The number one realtor in Putnam County, a former Putnam County Spelling Bee champ herself, and the returning moderator.
- Vice Principal Douglas Panch (M, Non-singing or ensemble) – Returning as a judge five years after the “incident.” He claims to be in a better place now, thanks to a high-fiber diet and Jungian analysis. He is infatuated with Rona Lisa Peretti, but she does not return his affections.
- Mitch Mahoney (M, Tenor) – The Official Comfort Counselor. An ex-con, Mitch is performing his community service with the Bee, and hands out juice boxes to the losing students.
Ensemble Roles (may be doubled with other cast members)
- Carl Dad (M, Tenor)
- Dan Dad (M, Tenor)
- Jesus Christ (M, Tenor)
- Leaf’s Family
- Olive’s Dad (M, Tenor)
- Olive’s Mom (F, Mezzo-Soprano)
Friday, June 11, 2021 | 8:00 PM
Saturday, June 12, 2021 | 8:00 PM
Sunday, June 13, 2021 | 3:00 PM
Friday, June 18, 2021 | 8:00 PM
Saturday, June 19, 2021 | 8:00 PM
Sunday, June 20, 2021 | 3:00 PM
Friday, June 25, 2021 | 8:00 PM
Saturday, June 26, 2021 | 8:00 PM
NEED MORE INFO? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!