PUFFS; OR SEVEN INCREASINGLY EVENTFUL YEARS AT A CERTAIN SCHOOL OF MAGIC AND MAGIC
BY MATT COX
ABOUT THE SHOW
For seven years a certain boy wizard went to a certain Wizard School and conquered evil. This, however, is not his story. This is the story of the Puffs… who just happened to be there too. A tale for anyone who has never been destined to save the world.
- Auditions: July 26th and 27th, 2021 at 7:30 PM
- Callbacks: Wednesday, July 28th at 7:30 PM
- Read Through: Tuesday, August 2nd, at 7 PM
- Rehearsals: Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays from 7 PM to 10 PM
- Tech (Mandatory): October 3rd to 7th
- Performances: October 8-10 and October 15-16
- Showtimes: Friday & Saturday at 8 PM; Sunday at 3 PM
All performers must be age 18 or older to audition.
You may pre-register for an audition slot to receive access to additional audition information. Pre-registered auditioners should arrive 5-10 minutes before your scheduled time.
Walk-in auditioners may arrive any time between 6:45-8:30.
WHAT CAN I DO IF I WILL BE OUT OF TOWN DURING AUDITIONS?
You must pre-register for an online audition slot to receive audition materials. Audition videos will be accepted to Producer Ann-Marie Thomas at email@example.com through Monday, July 26, 2021.
- WAYNE HOPKINS – He/him. Any age 18+. Any ethnicity. The hero. Totally uncool, but full of charm and heart. Loyal to a tee. Likes comic books and video games, knows nothing about magic or this weird magic world he is now a part of. Best friends with Oliver and Megan.
- OLIVER RIVERS – He/him. Any age 18+. Any ethnicity. One of the main trio. Incredibly smart and cerebral, he is a math wiz, and proud of it; lovingly a nerd from New Jersey. After ending up at wizarding school, he finds out he isn’t the top of his class, and instead begins a fantastical journey of friendship and even some love, better than any algebra class could ever promise. Real comic chops, incredibly appealing, youthful.
- MEGAN JONES – She/her. Any age 18+. Any ethnicity. One of the main trio; Begins the show by only desiring to live up to her mother’s reputation: a dark wizard currently in Wiz Priz for being such a bad-ass Death Buddy in her youth. Favorite store: Hot Topic. Favorite color: black. Over time, her tough veneer begins to soften, as a budding romance with Oliver becomes apparent. Defiant and headstrong on the surface, the audience begins to see that her adamance of being completely unique and independent really stems from her desire to be loved and accepted.
- NARRATOR – Any gender. Any age 18+. Any ethnicity. The narrator of the story. They guide us through our entire show of Puffy-ness. British accent. Must be a great storyteller, as they must keep the audience engaged and updated on all the goings-on. Can be a bit of a know-it-all, but still relatable and appealing. Comedy skills a must, improv background is a plus.
- ERNIE MAC and A VERY TALL MAN, SEAMUS, A CERTAIN POTIONS TEACHER, PROF. TURBAN, GHOST HISTORY TEACH, PROF. LOCKY, MR. NICK, SAL, SECOND HEADMASTER, REAL MR. MOODY – He/him. Any age 18+. Any ethnicity. Requires an actor capable of doing strong impressions and a British accent. Ernie Mac: Proud. Loud. Pretty sure he’s the best. Male Teachers: Potions Teacher/ Locky/ Professor Turban/ Mr. Moody. All impressions. Strong comedic ability. (Impressions: Rickman/ Branagh/Gleeson/Whoever played Quirrell in the movie).
- HANNAH and FIRST HEADMASTER, PROF. McG, PROF. SPROUTTY, XAVIA JONES, PROF. LANNY, RUNES TEACH, MS. BABBLE – She/her. Any age 18+. Any ethnicity. Requires playing several different roles back to back, so the ability to play a variety of character types a plus. Must be able to maintain a British accent and a Maggie Smith impression. Hannah: Shy. Very shy. Female Teachers: Professor McG, Professor Plants, Professor T, Bath Babbles. Adults of all kinds of different personalities.
- J. FINCH FLETCHLEY, and UNCLE DAVE, GOYLE, A FAT FRIAR, CLUMSY LONGBOTTOM, HERMEOONE #3, VIKTOR, MR. BAGMAN, ZACH SMITH – He/him. Any age 18+. Any ethnicity. Anyone auditioning for this role will need to be prepared to improvise a story.
- LEANNE and GINNY, HELGA, FRENCHY – She/her. Any age 18+. Any ethnicity. A little distant. A little random. Is possibly a genius or really, really stupid. But has a really strong heart. The Puffiest of the Puffs. Needs to be able to carry a British accent.
- SALLY PERKS and HERMEOONE, BLONDO MALFOY, ROWENA, RITA SCOOTER, BIPPY – She/her. Any age 18+. Any ethnicity. Sally: Nice. In year 3, goes through a bit of a growth spurt that attracts the other student’s attention, if you know what I mean. Bippy: A house elf. Devoted. Loyal. Kind of annoying. Needs to be able to do a British accent.
- SUSIE BONES and HARRY, COLIN, HERMEOONE #2, RIC GRYFF, MYRTLE – She/her. Any age 18+. Any ethnicity. Susie: Sad. Gloomy. Think Eeyore from “Winnie the Pooh.” Constantly in fear of her or her family dying. Harry: Young, plucky, and famous. Struts around school like he owns it. Gets into a few wacky situations, but it’s nothing the bonds of friendship can’t overcome. Needs to be able to carry a British accent.
- CEDRIC and MR. VOLDY – He/him. Any age 18+. Any ethnicity. An appealing comic actor to play the pivotal roles of Cedric in Act I and Mr. Voldy in Act II. Cedric: A champion. Athletic, winning, popular, and charming. Everyone’s favorite, but still loyal, patient, and kind. A leading example of a Puff. Mr. Voldy: Evil. Like, reeeaaally evil. Wants to rule the world in shadows and darkness and terror. (Or, ya know, just an amazing Ralph Fiennes impression.) Needs to be able to carry a British accent.