Auditions for Present Laughter by Noël Coward will be held April 6 & 7 at 7:30 PM in the lobby of the Legion Theatre. Present Laughter will run June 5-13, 2020. This production will be directed by Alex LaVelle.
At the centre of his own universe sits matinee idol Garry Essendine: suave, hedonistic and too old, says his wife, to be having numerous affairs. His line in harmless, infatuated debutantes is largely tolerated but playing closer to home is not. Just before he escapes on tour to Africa the full extent of his misdemeanours is discovered. And all hell breaks loose. Noël Coward’s Present Laughter premiered in the early years of the Second World War just as such privileged lives were threatened with fundamental social change.
Cold reading from the script; no preparation necessary!
- Garry Essendine (M, 40s-60s) – a cigarette-holder-wielding matinee idol slipping reluctantly into middle age; self-dramatizing, self-important, and hopelessly self-infatuated
- Liz Essendine (F, 35-50) – Garry’s ex-wife and theatrical producer; charming, kind, and practical
- Joanna Lyppiatt (F, 30-45) – Hugo’s wife; attractive, glamorous, ruthless, and shameless
- Monica Reed (F, 35-55) – Garry’s secretary and “right hand man,” sharp-witted, organized, and acerbic
- Daphne Stillington (F, 18-25) – pretty ingenue; innocent and romantic but ambitious
- Fred (M, 30-60) – Garry’s smartly-dressed, cocky valet
- Roland Maule (M, 20-30) – idealistic, slightly unbalanced, aspiring playwright
- Morris Dixon (F, 30-50) – Garry’s friend and theatrical producer; romantic and self-involved
- Hugo Lyppiatt (M, 40-70) – businessman and theatrical producer; slightly pompous and oblivious
- Mrs. Erickson (F, 35-65) – Garry’s eccentric housekeeper
- Lady Saltburn (F, 50-80) – wealthy patron of the Arts
Friday, June 5, 2020 | 8:00 PM
Saturday, June 6, 2020 | 8:00 PM
Sunday, June 7, 2020 | 3:00 PM Matinee
Friday, June 12, 2020 | 8:00 PM
Saturday, June 13, 2020 | 8:00 PM
NEED MORE INFO? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!